Saturday, December 4, 2010

December 4th (Dawson)

FIRST DAY OF SURGERYYYYY!!!!! Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!
Today was just awesome. Awesome awesome awesome. And very hard. Yes, it was. Starting from the beginning. Breakfast was great, and then it was time to go to the hospital. Lisa was singing some Bon Jovi or something, and my ears are still ringing. ;) We got there, and were instantly sent to work! That was pretty much the whole day though. We got started by playing with a bunch of kids. One of Chris and my best friends was there to get her surgery, so we played with her for quite a bit. Then, Chris and I were sent to work, running people from room to room and all that good stuff. Which got pretty crazy, let me just tell you ;). I was really wanting to go into the OR today, but I believe that we will be in the next few days. Today, the parents were just so cooperative, and I was extremely proud of all of them. The kids, too, were also very patient with all of the doctors and people that were just running around and going psycho, which was basically a good way to describe today. Then Kyle and I did a bunch of presentations. We started out only teaching 2 or 3 people, and it quickly turned into something like 15 people! It was kinda intimidating speaking all through translator, but I think we did a good job! We sure do know our stuff ;) After that, we played with the kids for a while in the children's playroom, and then we all went and had lunch and made some sweet little arm bands. The next part of the day was probably my favorite! I got to hang out with Kathy Magee for about an hour and take her on a tour of the hospital! I was seriously like honored to be such good pals with such an ispirational woman! She really made the day for me! I also talked to Bill for a while, and we talked about some cool stuff coming for Op Smile Utah! More details to come... ;) After this all is when it just got crazy! We had to bring patients in from outside that are having surgery tomorrow. The problem is, we don't have too many beds, and we wanted to arrange people in order of their surgeries, and we are grouping some people by how far away they must travel, how many people are in their group, etc. So basically, a very confusing job. And guess who spearheaded it? Dawson, Janani, and Chris! Woooooooooo!!! Studentsssss!!! Yes! But really. We were all running back and forth, and back and forth, finding out new information over and over again. All of this for about 2 hours. But you know what? I LOVED EVERY SECOND! I hate working when I'm back at home, but I really feel like I'm making a huge difference with the littlest thing! Anyways... that brings me to now. No dinner cuz we got back super late. So here I sit, with this weird music playing in the background. I'm tiiiiired. Goodnight everyone!

2 comments:

  1. Wow...you really are hard at work. That's how Julie describes her missions: work, work, work. Think of the sacrifice that all these people in their chosen professions are willing to give. so inspirational what a bunch of people will do to help these children to have better lives. You are all my heroes and I can't wait to donate my time for their cause. see if you can talk the Magees' into a nother mission where we could both go! I would love that! I love you and think about you constantly. So glad though that you are where you are!!!Love and miss you MOM

    ReplyDelete
  2. When all these kids are grown up and look back at this with their beautiful smiles I just know they'll think of you! :)))

    ReplyDelete